Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Vampires that lack bite

Bloodsucking Fiends
Christopher Moore

My vampire kick is insatiable, I eagerly bite in to books that feature these bloodsuckers and particularly like a dash of romance to spice it up. However, this one just left me feeling drained.

Moore is witty (as always) but I really disliked the main character, Jody. She was a whiny, dependent woman who was transformed into a whiny, dependent vampire*. Strike one. Tommy was a pouty, naive, irritating man who's mood-swings drove me insane. Strike two. The story was sluggish, moving forward in very jerking motions as it progressed slowly between brief areas of fast-action. Strike three. You're out.

I'm definitely not giving up on Moore in general (I definitely am going to fit in Island of the Sequined Love Nun at some point) but I don't know that I really care to read Bite Me or You Suck. Moore + Vampires = blah.

*Shocking that I can put up with whiny and dependent Bella in Twilight but not Jody. I think it was her red hair - redheads are supposed to be firey.

No comments:

Post a Comment